Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Religious Rambles from Tel Aviv

I arrived in Tel Aviv this morning after almost two weeks in the old city of Jerusalem. The juxtoposition with striking: while Jerusalem is conservative and austere, Tel Aviv sums up everything I like about Mediterranean costal cities: people holding hands, walking around in almost no clothing while drinking beer in the afternoon and kissing with no hesitance. Quite the difference, indeed. I'll go as far to say it was a relief; after having to spend the last three weeks in religiously sensitive places (especially those who are in the midst of various holidays), I finally felt like I could breathe when I arrived here, and not worry about having to offend anyone. While it was interesting and eye-opening to spend so much time in a place like Jerusalem, I realized that it was something that I couldn't sustain. Most people live their lives in a completely different way there than I see mine unfolding: constantly attuned to what they feel god wants of them, and tweaking the aspects of daily life accordingly. I just can't live that way. While I understand the history involved, plus the fact that this lifestyle garners 'meaning', it presents you with the 'choices' you will be making from then on out, including the strict laws by which you much dress. Yes, a place like Tel Aviv that allows drugs, sex and "moral impurity" can become excessive and lead to terrible lives for some. Anyway, all of this comes back to the point I tried to make earlier: that Jerusalem was a place I could observe and analyze, but never truly become absorbed in. Good note to make for the future, I suppose. I would upload pictures, but this computer disallows such behavoir. Of course :) Tomorrow I'm off to a farm just south of the city, which I'm really looking forward too. I get no exercise on this adventure (besides the periodical days of shleping around my backpack aka life), so it'll be nice to spend copious hours outside tending to the crops, or what have you. And now I'm off, to drink or read or something away from this machine.

sallam

No comments: